click click click

Monday, December 15, 2008

Recipe: Homemade Tocino

This recipe was handed down to me by one of my aunts. I love doing my own Tocino marinade because at least I know how it is made and what it is made of. It is also very easy to prepare.

What you'll need:

1 kilo pork neck, sliced thinly

1 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon food color (pink)

Cooking oil of your choice for frying


What you'll need to do:

1. Marinate pork in sugar, salt and food color.

2. Refrigerate overnight for curing of pork.

3. To cook, fry marinated pork in oil.

Tocino is served during breakfast with fried rice and egg or can be served during lunch and/or dinner. Kids and adults also love to eat this for baon (take away food for lunch) in school or at work.

Notes:

a. You can use other kinds of pork (such as pork chop), however, I always use pork neck as it is softer compared to others without having to tenderize it.

b. I always use brown sugar for cooking but white sugar is also acceptable if you want to use white sugar.

c. You can do without the food color as it does nothing to the flavor of Tocino, it is added for visual reasons.

d. I always use Canola Oil for frying and cooking vegetables.

{photo source}