click click click

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When Was The Last Time You Did Something For Yourself?

Yesterday, I decided not to go to work.

I woke up a little late than usual. The alarm went off at 5:30am, touched the snooze button...alarm went off again after five minutes, I didn't get up still. After a few more minutes (that's an understatement), I realized it was already 6am! Immediately, I prepared to go to work. While Husband and I had breakast, I told him, "I don't want to go to work today, I want to go back to bed and sleep." The ever-loving husband replied, "Then stay home, what have you got to lose?"

My husband has never been a big talker but once he says something, more often than not, it is logical and will make you stop and realize, "Oo nga no?"

So I asked myself, "When was the last time I did something like this?"

"When was the last time I threw all my caution to the wind and just do what I want and not care about what will happen next?"

"When did I last rewarded myself with a day of sleeping?"

"When was the last time I gave myself something intagible?"

The answer to all those questions was "I don't know." With that kind of answer, I think that says a lot, doesn't it?

And so I stayed home and slept...and watched TV...and read a book...and just relaxed! It was a glorious day for me. I made up for lost sleep and at the same time, it not only rejuvenated my body, but my mind and soul as well.

Nowadays, it's so easy to get caught up in the web-like array of our day-to-day activities--work, responsibilities, bills to pay, parties to attend, a household to manage, kids to take care of, family and friends to be there for...and the list goes on and on.

These days, we only get to take a day-off when we're feeling really really sick---and more often than not, we even feel guilty for not going to work!

These days, it's just so easy to be an adult because we are faced with obligations. that we sometimes forget the child in us.

But once in a while, no matter how difficult or impossible we think it is, doing something for yourself can be the most rewarding thing. It is healthier too.

So be a kid sometimes and ask yourself, "When was the last time I did something for myself?"