click click click

Monday, July 5, 2010

Things I Love: Songs From Movies

I've been getting some emails asking of things I love so to answer them, I'm introducing a new feature on my blog entitled "Things I love".  This will also give me a platform for sharing stuff from my discoveries and/or family & friends' recommendations.

I'll start with songs that I love from movies I've seen.  These are songs that I never get tired of hearing no matter how many times I listen to them.

"Falling Slowly" from the movie "Once".  The song and the movie are hauntingly beautiful.  If you haven't seen the film, I highly recommend that you watch it. 

Favorite parts of the song:
I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that

Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black


Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along

"Anyone Else But You" from the movie "Juno".  Originally sung by Moldy Peaches but on the last bit of the film, lead actors Ellen Page and Michael Cera sang the song.  My Husband and I love this very cute song.

Favorite parts of the song:
Your part time lover and a full time friend,
The monkey on the back is the latest trend,
Don't see what anyone can see,
In anyone else,
But you

I'm always tryin to keep it real,
Now I'm in love with how you feel,
I don't see what anyone can see,
In anyone else,
But you


"Labels or Love" from the movie "Sex and the City".  I love this song because it is very catchy, makes me wanna dance and just shouts "women power" all over.  Some may think that this is just a song on shopping and how it makes a woman happy but for me, this song is also about what women can do nowadays--that they can afford whatever it is they want to buy because they just can. Like my girlfriends and I say, "We don't need men to buy us what we want because we can do that ourselves."

Favorite part of the song:
Love’s like a runway but which one do I love more
No emotional baggage, just big bags filled with Dior
Love’s like a runway, so what’s all the fussing for
Let’s stop chasing them boys and shop some more
 


"Slipping Through My Fingers" from the movie "Mamma Mia!".  Almost all the songs from the movie "Mamma Mia!" is a favorite of mine but this one always makes me tear up a bit.  Such a touching song that talks of a parent letting of his/her child.

Favorite parts of the song:
Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time

Sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture
And save it from the funny tricks of time


"Power of Two" from the movie "Boys on the Side".  A song that talks of friendship and being there for people you love.  I have dedicated this song to a few friends and to my Husband whom I consider my favorite teammate and bestest friend in the world.  "Boys on the Side" is 1995 comedy-drama film with Whoopi Goldberg, Drew Barrymore and Mary-Louise Parker as lead actors.  If you love the song "Power of Two", I suggest you find a copy of "Boys on the Side" and be equallly touched.  The song and the movie will make you appreciate the friendships in your life more.

Favorite parts of the song:
So we're ok, we're fine
Baby I'm here to stop your crying
Chase all the ghosts from your head
I'm stronger than the monster beneath your bed
Smarter than the tricks played on your heart
Look at them together then we'll take them apart
Adding up the total of a love that's true
Multiply life by the power of two
I know the things that I am afraid of
I'm not afraid to tell
And if we ever leave a legacy
It's that we loved each other well
Now we're talking about a difficult thing
And your eyes are getting wet
I took us for better and I took us for worse
And don't you ever forget it

Now there's steel bars between me and a promise
Suddenly bend with ease
And the closer I'm bound in love to you
The closer I am and free

What about you?  What are your favorite songs from movies you've watched?

Happy Monday!