click click click

Friday, June 1, 2012

Beauty Stash: My Top 5 Oils (and a Few Tips on Skin Care)

Happy 1st day of Winter!  

It's my 7th Winter in Australia and so far my body has adjusted to the very cold weather.  The first two years were the hardest but I got used to it eventually.  

When I moved here, I only care to regularly cleanse my face.  I don't like putting moisturisers on because I have oily skin and thought it might cause my face to break out.  However, my skin went very dry come cold season so I had to ask help from a facial care centre.  

Their best skin care tips were:
(1)  It is important to have a regular skin regimen.
(2)  One can find skin care products that won't cause the skin to get too oily or pimple break outs.
(3)  Learn the habit of putting moisturisers and sunblock on as early as possible to avoid skin dryness, premature wrinkles and sunspots.
(4)  Drink lots of water all the time to hydrate skin.
(5)  Moisturise everyday.  I used to have this idea that I should only put moisturiser on when I have dry skin or during cold season only but I was advised otherwise.

I have since followed their advice and found skin care products that make my skin better.  Now that I'm in my 30s, I've seen a few changes in my skin and thought it's time to be more vigilant in moisturising.  I have always used cream moisturisers but recently I discovered the wonders of using oil.  

Here are my top 5 favourite oils:
Rosehip Oil.  Considered the miracle oil that contains Omega 3, 6 and 9, essential fatty acids and antioxidants, it minimise the appearance of wrinkles and scars.  Regular use results to smooth skin and dramatically improved moisture levels, leaving skin radiant and glowing. I love it because it is lightweight and non-greasy.  I use it as a base before putting anything on my face.  Even if I put a layer of cream moisturiser/sunblock/foundation on my face after putting rosehip oil on, it doesn't get oily.  I've used it for two weeks and my acne scars seem to be less visible.  This is so far the best oil I've used on my face.  


Argan Oil/Moroccan Oil.  I used this as a skin moisturiser before I discovered Rosehip Oil.  This is an all-around oil that can be used for the hair, face and body (it can even be used for cooking!).  It is high in Vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant.  Now that I have Rosehip Oil to do wonders for my face, I use this mainly for my hair because it keeps it soft, non-frizzy and silky.  It also prevents my scalp from being itchy and dry.       


Tea Tea Oil.   I call this my "Healing Oil" as this is my go-to when I have pimple break outs and dandruff.  I love it's soothing feel.  Although the Husband teases that I smell like a tree whenever I put this (usually at bedtime), I don't care.  I wake up with my skin healed which is the most important thing.





Palmer's Moisturizing Body Oil.  After a bath, I apply this on my damp skin to lock in moisture.  It absorbs quickly and softens my skin preventing it from being dry.  This oil is light but I feel the richness of its formula on my skin that I sometimes get away with not putting lotion anymore.


Johnson's Bedtime Oil.  This is my usual body oil when I take baths in the evening.  I also use this as an alternative to applying lotion at night.  The smell is wonderfully relaxing and induces me to sleep.


Now that I've found oils that bring out the best in my skin and hair, I feel more confident surviving not just the winter season, but every season of every year.