click click click

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Love Your Job

...that's all I could say right after our team meeting a few minutes ago.
Good news: We will only train about 20 groups next year and that the first group for 2009 will start on the 2nd week of February (yoohoo!). Such a big difference from how 2008 looked for us.
Not-so-good news: Our department had to cut 14 positions and our team will be greatly affected: 1 Training Administrator and 4 Project Officers will end their contracts on 31 December. I almost had a heart attack when I heard this...but what can we do??? None. Change is the only permanent thing in this world.
Good news: All 14 positions will just be moved to a different department...in the end, we still have jobs. At the end of the day, that is most important. I will miss those who will move but knowing our office, we will eventually find ourselves working with each other again.
There's also some bit I learned about the state I'm working for, but I can't divulge it. But to those who are living here in NSW I'll leave you a piece of advice: please save save and save...and love your job. Count your blessings and at the same time, save your "blessings". I know we say this all the time, I know that we know this...but it surely is more substanstial when you see changes happening around you (and you're told that there will be more changes to come). It doesn't hurt to do reality checks once in a while and heed pre-cautionary warnings.