click click click

Monday, November 24, 2008

How To Get Along With "Monday"

I used to have a chronic illness called "Monday-itis". A few years back, I'm one of those people who avoid contact with "people" in the office on a Monday. Not so long ago, I was one of those employees who suddenly feels sick on Sunday night knowing that the following day is the start of the workweek.

When I was a trainer in the Philippines, I had to get over my Monday-itis because my work entails that on any given day "I have to be happy and I have to show my trainees I love what I do." And because I really love what I do, I decided to get rid of my "Monday-itis" and came up with some strategies to get over Monday sickness.

Acceptance is the key. It really just starts with accepting that the weekend is over and that Monday will always be inevitable. Life is a cycle—and we all know that.

Be grateful that Monday happened. It is another day, another gift of life.

Be ready for Monday. Prepare for it. Get your Monday clothes, your bag, shoes et al, ready on Sunday night before retiring to bed, so that when you get up in the morning, all you have to do is shower because all you need in order to get out your door is ready. I religiously do this (I do this every night actually) and to make things easier the following morning, I also get our "baons" ready for the next day.

Make a list of things to do at work on Monday. On Friday afternoons before I leave work, I make it a point to write down my Things-To-Do List for Monday. In that way, when I'm back at the office and my head's still floating from a weekend hang-over, I just look at my list and there I find my center once again.

Take it easy on a Monday (if possible). As you can see on the photo above, I only start with my top three things-to-do as I don't want to overwhelm myself with so much work on the first day of the workweek. My to-do list on a Monday can only go up to five tasks. I give myself some room for being a bit slow---based on my work patterns, I take my time at work on Mondays (because I don't want to get stressed early in the week). I also avoid scheduling or confirming meetings on Mondays, I schedule my meetings on a Tuesday.

Start your work-week with a positive affirmation. I love affirmations because it is a great way to pick-up your mood or remind you of something positive. I used to share Affirmations before. Sometimes my affirmations are inspired by people I've met or known via the blogosphere. I've stopped doing them for awhile but I plan to share some again soon.

If Monday has feelings, it would be very hurt. Put your shoes in Monday’s shoes, how would you feel if everybody hates you? Be kind to Monday...and be kind to your lovely face---frowning causes pre-mature wrinkles!

Smile. It’s only Monday. It won’t hurt trying to be happy on the first day of the work-week.

We all have a choice on how we will face the day, whether to be happy or grumpy on the first day of the workweek. As for me, I have realized early on that we should greet each day with a big smile, grateful for a new start of the week.

May we all have happy Mondays all the time!

[photo source]