click click click

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Meet My New Baby....The Panasonic Lumix GF1!

After work on Friday, the Husband and I had our usual coffee date and for once, he was early.  He was there already and a package on the table was waiting for me.  It was my belated birthday gift!
IMG_3440


Meet my new baby....the Panasonic Lumix GF1!

IMG_3478


IMG_3484


I've been very vocal for a long time now that I hope my next camera would be a downgrade from a DSLR.  For almost more than a year I've been wanting a camera that is more handy than an SLR but possible to interchange lenses.  Also, I want a camera that can produce sharp images, food, macro and night shots decently.  I want to give my DSLRs a rest from shooting too; only to be used for covering events and not for everyday use.  As for the interchangeable lenses, we want a camera that can accommodate our Canon lenses when attached via a converter.

With my said requirements, the Husband and I studied the specs and features of a few Micro Four Thirds Cameras.  Our top three options were: (1) Panasonic Lumix GF1; (2) Sony NEX 3 or 5 and (3) Olympus Pen E-P1.

It took us awhile to finally decide on the one we thought was best for us.  While I believe that Olympus cameras are good, the Olympus Pen did not impressed me as I thought the colour quality it produced were bland so that was out.  As for the Sony NEX, it took me some time to really figure out if it's a wise choice.  I used to be a Sony girl.  I've used Sony digicams since 2003 and noticed that their cameras produced good quality photos for the first two years and then slowly goes downhill from then.  Even their camera's flash quality deteriorates after two years.  It took me three digicams from Sony to figure that out.  So I told myself, it's time to try something new. 

Then I finally decided, "Yes, the Lumix GF1 it is!"  What convinced me to choose this one was the lens.  The same manufacturer of Leica DG lens also makes the Lumix G lenses which is the lens used for the Lumix GF1.  I also based my decision on the shots taken by this camera and it was so good, I was blown away. 

Panasonic Lumix GF1

We decided all of this last year but we waited for the price to drop.  We knew that early this year, the Lumix GF2 will come out and possibly the GF1 price will be cheaper.  September last year, our "suking" camera store tried to sell the GF1 to us at AUD$920.00 but I declined.  It was a good deal then being that the original price was around AUD$1,100.00-1,200.00.  Husband planned to give this to me as a Christmas and birthday gift but I told him, it would be wise to wait it out.  True enough, the GF2 came out and the GF1 price dropped down.


Why didn't we buy the Lumix GF2 instead ?  Because we didn't like its features.  And we don't buy a camera just because it is the latest model.  We choose cameras based on our needs and what it can deliver.

The Husband initially ordered online but it was taking too long to be delivered so he canceled and went to our suking camera store instead.  Asked the manager there if they can find the Lumix GF1 for him (it is bound to ran out as they are not ordering it anymore).  The manager rang up other branches of their store and found one in Bondi.  The Husband asked it to be delivered to the Sydney branch ASAP and voila, Friday afternoon he picked them up and surprised me at Starbucks with my belated birthday gift!

I'm very very very (can't say enough, aye?) happy with my new camera.  I'm still learning how to use it but so far, I brought it yesterday at a baby shower event and used it along with my Canon DSLR and I'm very satisfied with it.  I've been gushing about it since Friday night and I'm going to say it again here, "This is one of my best camera/photography/blogging" decisions ever."  

Here are a few shots by the Lumix GF1:

It creates great bokeh.  Lens used was the Lumix G 20mm, f1.7

Lumix GF1 shots


Monochrome shot.

Lumix GF1 shots


Macro shot.

Lumix GF1 shots


Very sharp capture.

Lumix GF1 shots


Perfect for portrait shots!  This one's my favourite.  Plus, the dog is uber cute.

Lumix GF1 shots


I can't wait to use it for travel, food blogging, night shots and even during coverage of events.  My dream of owning a more handy camera finally came true!