click click click

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Legally Blonde (The Musical) in Sydney

Chalk it all up to experience,
They said i'd fail but i disagreed
Who could say then where my path would lead?
...it's not up to me 
Just let me be legally blonde.

I've seen the film a couple of times and when I learned that they've turned it into a musical, I hoped that one day it will reach the shores of Sydney and stage here. It took awhile for that to happen and when it did, I resisted the temptation to read reviews and even listen to the soundtrack. Since this show originated from a movie, I wanted to experience the musical with only that knowledge that it was from a movie. I wanted to experience it with raw appreciation and a fresh perspective.

Legally Blonde (The Musical) is a fun and entertaining show that will remind you how great it is to have girlfriends who will always be there to share the highs and lows of your life, get over the man who broke your heart, fall in love again (with the right man this time) and celebrate the uniqueness in you. It's such a refreshing musical that will leave you a feeling of warmth and positivity plus a certain fondness for the colour Pink :D (LOL).

The Songs. They've got catchy and easy to "sing-along with" songs. My favourites are "Omigod You Guys", "Serious", "Chip On My Shoulder", "Legally Blonde" and "Find My Way".
Legally Blonde (The Musical)
Legally Blonde (The Musical)
The Cast. It was great to see Lucy Durack, Rob Mills and David Harris together on stage once again. I saw them when we watched "Wicked" and they were the perfectly casted for the roles of Elle Woods, Warner Huntington III and Emmett Forest respectively. Lucy was a natural "Elle", Rob was charming and David's presence was very engaging. I was highly entertained by Helen Dallimore (who played Paulette) as she brought the house down with her singing and dancing and Erika Heynatz (who played Brooke Wyndham) as she captivated all of us with her strong voice, great stamina and stage presence.

The Production. The production design was well-executed as there were a lot of scene changes. The stage was colouful and added life to every scene.


We sat on second row and it was freakin' awesome! I usually wear glasses when watching shows but I didn't have to. The orchestra below the stage was well-within sight too. Kudos to my friend Rachel for getting the best seats. 
Legally Blonde (The Musical)
Legally Blonde (The Musical)
I was lucky to snap a photo of the main cast as they did the final curtain call. Note that I only used my Lumix GF1 with 20mm lens to capture this and yet it turned out clear enough. This was how close we were to stage.  The main characters (from left to right): Prof. Callaghan, Brooke Wyndham, Warner Huntington III, Emmett Forest, Elle Woods and Paulette.
Legally Blonde (The Musical)

Personal: Watching "Legally Blonde" is our way of celebrating the birthday of our dearest friend Rachel. It was a very apt way to celebrate her birthday as she is very fond of watching musicals like me and our other friend Hilda. I got her Adriano Zumbo's "Happy Birthday" cake and had a Din Tai Fung dinner before the show. Experiencing "Legally Blonde" was more fun and special because I watched it with two of my dearest friends. We ended the night having our favourite gelato at Messina and a walk at Darling Harbour.
Legally Blonde (The Musical)
Legally Blonde (The Musical)

Legally Blonde will stage at the Lyric Theatre of The Star until 27 January 2013. Check out their website http://www.legallyblonde.com.au/ for details and tickets or buy directly from Ticketmaster.