click click click

Monday, November 16, 2009

Recipe: Homemade Thin Crust Pizza

I love pizza. But I can't eat pizza all the time because I know how fattening it is (I used to work for a pizza company in Manila and I've trained in the kitchen) and how there's so many preservatives pizzas have in it. The Husband and I have always dreamed of eating take-away pizza for dinner on nights when we're lazy to cook but it has never happened. No matter how lazy I feel sometimes, I can't bear the thought that we will eat take-away food at home (we have exceptions sometimes but rarely does it happen), so whatever mood I'm in, I force myself to cook in order to avoid unhealthy food.

So what does a health-conscious Wifey like me do when take-away pizza is not really an option? I make my own pizza at home!

Please note that pizzas are not entirely healthy even when made at home. But at least I can make an alternative for the dough, use low-fat cheese, know where my ingredients come from and luckily find organic ingredients too.

Making this pizza is a spur of the moment thing. I made this on Saturday (14/11/09) when I realized that I could use my multi-grain wraps as pizza base (it was actually for making chicken wraps for our baon at work). Good thing I have a few ingredients at home to make a pizza.

What you need:
2 Organic Multigrain Wraps
2 Tablespoons Pizza Sauce
1 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar Cheese/Mozarella Cheese
3 pieces medium-sized Cabanossi Sausages, sliced thinly
1/2 cup Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Red Bell Pepper, sliced

What you need to do:

1. On your pizza base, spread pizza sauce evenly with the use of spoon.

2. Sprinkle cheese, then arrange sausages, bell peppers and mushrooms on top of your base.

3. Sprinkle another dash of cheese on top before placing inside the oven (this is optional, I love my pizza filled with lots of cheese that's why I add an extra dash).

4. Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes.

5. Cut into quarters.

Serves 2 people.

Notes:
(1) If you can't find organic wraps, at least find multi-grain wraps as it is possibly one of the healthiest pizza base you can ever find. A multi-grain wrap is low in fat, low in GI and a good source of fibre. If it is organic, you can be sure that it is free of preservatives.

(2) Having the multi-grain wrap as pizza base made me achieved the thin-crust kind of pizza. It's crunchy and light on the tummy as compared to eating the normal pizza made of dough.

(3) If you can't find multi-grain wraps, the normal Tortilla Wraps can be an alternative pizza base.

(4) You need two to three wraps in making a pizza base as one wrap is too thin. It may not hold the your pizza toppings.

(5) If you don't have mozzarella cheese at home, a good alternative is cheddar cheese. It would be better too if your cheese at home is low-fat.

(6) You can definitely be creative when it comes to pizzas, I guess that's why it's so easy to make them--there's really no concrete rule when it comes to what you can put on top of your pizza base.

(7) Next time I plan to cook my own pizza sauce.