click click click

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Against Bigotry

For the past two weeks, I’ve been following the story of a certain travel writer/columnist who wrote about not wanting to be in the same airplane with OFWs which instigated several (I think that’s an understatement) negative comments from all parts of the world.

Much has been said and written about the controversy. She resigned from People Asia and Manila Standard Today (MST) last week and so I thought it’s all over. However, last Monday, she wrote an article again at MST who confirmed that they did not accept the writer’s resignation due to personnel issues.

I’m an HR Practictioner and my question is: What personnel issue is there when an employee files a resignation? Anong issue doon? If an employee willingly resigns, the only thing that the manager of the employee and HR can do is to accept it.

If there is indeed a personnel issue, why can’t MST tell the public about it when this controversy started in public anyway?

With so many loopholes in MST’s side of the story, I’m therefore supporting
Tingog.com’s campaign against them. Boycott Manila Standard Today “Do not go to their website, do not buy their paper, and anything that they write.”

I sincerely support OFWs all over the world, thus I’m making a stand on this. I’m not putting OFWs on a pedestal nor I’m supporting this just because I am one, I’m simply against anyone or any organization that belittles Filipinos in general. OFWs or not, we must always respect each other, period. What was written on the writer’s article had BIGOTRY and DISCRIMINATION written all over it. And I’m not a supporter of either thing, nor am I a supporter of a newspaper or website that published such.

If you want to know more about what I'm talking about, here are some related links:
1.
Fire Malu Fernandez
2. Statement of the Filipino Press Club in Dubai
3. Media in Focus
4. Renewed Boycott Against Manila Standard Today