Since November 2011, the Harry Potter Exhibition housed at the Powerhouse Museum has given Sydney the excitement and wonder of seeing hundreds of iconic props and costumes that appeared the Harry Potter film series. It is a treat for movie enthusiasts to see each character’s wands and outfits worn in the movie, the flying car, the Horcruxes, the Twizard Cup, pieces from the Wizard’s Chess, the Invisibility Cloak and the full version of Buckbeak. You can also experience playing a miniature Quidditch, lifting the screaming Mandrakes and sitting on Hagrid’s massive chair inside his hut.
Being fans of the movie franchise, the Husband and I can’t let the exhibition pass without seeing it. We waited for a long time for the exhibition to arrive in Sydney and finally we saw it last month.
I felt nostalgic as we were about to enter the exhibition that I can’t help but say, “Imagine, we grew up with these films.” It was a bit similar to that feeling of nostalgia when we saw the last Harry Potter film, however, this time I had feelings of thrill as well because the exhibition really made us feel like we were part of the movies’ journey throughout the years. The experience made us love the Harry Potter films even more as each item helped us remember the most memorable scenes from the franchise.
Just a few tips for you:
- Buy tickets online and avoid the queue and disappointments on when tickets are sold out for the day.
- Arrive at the museum at least 15 minutes prior to the time printed on your ticket. Late arrivals will be guaranteed prompt admission and will have to wait until the next session.
- A few things not allowed inside the exhibition: food, drinks, taking photographs and videos and touching the artefacts.
- Once you’re inside the exhibition, you can spend as much time as you want. So just relax and take time looking thru each artefact. Enjoy!
- Want to bring home some Harry Potter souvenirs? The museum’s shop has several Harry Potter merchandise to choose from. You can pay by cash or credit (with a surcharge of 2.5%).
One of the things we bought and enjoyed from the exhibition were these HP Chocolate Frogs. Other than the chocolate being yummy, we enjoyed getting souvenir cards enclosed with it.
You won't know what card you've got unless you opened the pack. Grateful we got the Potter Family and Albus Dumbledore cards.
If you are a Harry Potter fan, I recommend that you experience the magic of Harry Potter one last time. The exhibition will be shown at the Powerhouse Museum (500 Harris Street Ultimo, Sydney) until 9 April 2012, tickets available at ticketek.com.au