click click click

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Penchant For The Old Manila

One of the few realizations we had when we vacationed in Manila was this: that we come back because we want to have a feel of what our life used to be. Going back to our mother country means we get to reminisce of our childhood and relive a life we once used to be a part of. Seeing Manila grow and change with the times is a milestone but a part of me wishes that some things and places are still maintained to how it's supposed to be. That's why I love reading books and watching old films where I get to see how things were when Manila (and the Philippines) was young.

A Penchant For The Old
A penchant for the old. My love for what Manila used to be.
Curly Tops from my childhood. The romance of using a telephone.

I was fortunate to come across the book "The Manila We Knew" in April. It was a collection of stories and essays of life in Manila. Stories that capture one's love for a city and its soul, life and history. In its pages you'll find romance and tragedy, hope and struggle. 

I started reading a few pages on Sunday morning and it brought me back to a time when I wasn't even born yet, when life in Manila was simpler. I'm glad that thru this book, I get to have a peek of what it's like to be part of the old Manila.


2 comments:

  1. I've been "lurking" in your blog for a couple of years or so and I may have left a comment or two in the past. I just wanna say I enjoy reading your posts and I'd like to thank you for this book. It is just the perfect gift for my brother who has not been back in the homeland since they left over 20 years ago. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also been a lurker on your blogs (you take such good photos!).
      Thank you very much for coming by when you have time. I'm glad this post was helpful to you. I hope your brother will like the book as much as I do. ;)

      Delete

Your thoughts are important to me. Thank you for taking time to leave a message!