click click click

Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's Going To Be Alright

With the calamity that has hit the Philippines, I feel like I'm living two lives for the past week. No matter how I'm engrossed I am with our life here in Sydney, I'm constantly checking online messages, blogs and status updates on what going on in Manila. At night, my Husband and I would watch TV Patrol online as well. If only it's possible, I would go home and be with our families and just be there.

Last night, with the updates of the super typhoon Pepeng, I had to call my mom and check where they are, request that they go home ASAP, ask if they have enough food at home, batteries for flashlights, reminded them that there might not be electricity, to be careful with candles....I know, I sound like a worried parent--because I am...I am more worried compared to them because I'm not there.

Between the two of us (my mom and I) talking, my mom is still THE mom (of course) simply because she is a woman of faith, resilience and composure. After all my random questions, all she calmly said in the end was, "Don't worry anak, everybody's praying. It's going to be alright."

And that's all it took to give me relief and free myself from worrying. That one-liner gave me comfort that typhoon or not, life should go on and life will go on. It's going to be okay.

The funny thing was, they didn't go home right away. My mom texted me at 7:30PM (Manila time) and said "We're having dinner at the mall, we'll go home later." I didn't worry anymore though, when my mom says it's going to be alright, I believe her. True enough, they were home by 10:00PM (Manila time), safe and well.

We all know that it will take a long time for things to be the way it is for everyone in Manila. We have all been scarred by the calamity and all of us are afraid of rain now (yes, kahit nandito ako, takot na akong malaman na umuulan na naman sa Pilipinas). But everytime I worry, I'm going to remember what my mom said, "It's going to be alright."

Life is too short to worry. Life is too short to not have faith. Life is too short to not live in the moment.