click click click

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Musical: Mamma Mia!

If I were to initially comment on my take on Mamma Mia! (The Musical), I would simply sing this line to you:
Mamma Mia, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?


Since experiencing the zest of "Mamma Mia!" last month, I've been raving on how great the show is and how it's such an unforgettable experience. Definitely worth anyone's time and money.



This is a dream come true for me. Since I've migrated here in 2005, I've always wished that they'll show Mamma Mia! in Sydney again for my sake (hehe). When they made a movie of this musical, I watched it in the cinemas alone and when the DVD was released, I bought it to share the experience with the Husband. He loved the movie and I promised him we would see the musical if ever we get a chance, whether it was here or in another part of the world.


After watching Mamma Mia! The Movie a thousand times and after playing the CD soundtrack inside our car everytime we're on a roadtrip (yes, that's how much we loved it), the universe has finally conspired to make our dream come true. Mamma Mia! is celebrating it's 10th Anniversary in Sydney!!!!!

To-date, this is the most entertaining and funnest theatrical experience for me and the Husband. Here are the reasons why:

The storyline and the songs. Those ABBA hits became the foundation of a story which anyone can easily relate to: a wedding, a reunion of friends, finding one's self, a lover coming back to your life, giving second chances. If you've ever been inlove or had great friends, this will surely warm your heart as you hear melodies of "Dancing Queen", "Chiquitita" or "The Winner Takes it All" come to life infront of you. Note: There are more songs in the musical compared the movie.

The actors. The cast has the funniest leads and ensemble I've ever seen. My favorite is Anne Wood who played Donna Sheridan and Jennifer Vuletic who played Tanya, one of the Dynamos. They were both funny, beautiful and acted really well. The cast sang every song beautifully and they danced really really good.

The choreography. Each production number will make you want to dance as the choreography is highly energetic. My favorite from all the production numbers is "Voulez-vous".

The fun costumes that complimented the lighting. Very modest set but they made sure that lighting was great and the costumes were fun and sparkly.

A mini-concert by the end of the show. An encore that's sort of a mini ABBA concert with the lead players disappearing just long enough to come back in eye-popping, deliciously colorful costumes that made the audience get on their feet and dance!!!! Yes, I was one of those that danced while they sang "Mamma Mia!", "Dancing Queen" and "Waterloo". It was such a fabulous experience. I loved it! I never wanted the experience to end--that's how good it was.

For anyone who's in Sydney right now, I recommend you watch and experience this musical. Bring your husband, I assure you he will enjoy it too. Or go with your girlfriends and you will surely have lots of fun.

Mamma Mia! will make you sing, cry, laugh and dance. A must-see for everyone.

This will run til February 2010. Buy your tickets now via Ticketmaster.



Trivia Time:



(b) The most touching part of the story was when Donna (the mom) helped Sophie get ready for the wedding. Donna sang "Slipping Through My Fingers". For anyone who's a mother or a daughter, I'm sure this will warm your heart.

(c) Since Chris and I were in such a festive mood that night, all because we are having so much fun, Chris brought me a "Super Trouper" Daiquiri in a flashing glass (which you can take home) during intermission. In honor of the musical, they named the daiquiris after ABBA's song titles.


(d) Given a chance, another time or place perhaps, I will watch and experience this musical again.