I was doing a bit of Christmas shopping three weeks ago when I chanced upon a little crowd in the appliance section of Myer Sydney. I walked closer and saw Pete Evans having a masterclass on creating pizza. With nothing but time on my hands, I gladly joined in to learn a thing or two in making pizza.
Pete Evans is one of Australia's well-respected chefs and co-host of the cooking show, "My Kitchen Rules". His passion for cooking started at a young age of 13 years old. When he turned 17, he followed his calling and became an apprentice chef. He currently owns the following restaurants: Pantry Restaurant (Melbourne), Hugos Manly (Sydney), Hugos Bar Pizza (Kings Cross) and Hugos Lounge (Kings Cross). He has written a few books too: Fish, a collection of fish and seafood recipes; My Table - Food for Entertaining; My Grill, which covers the art of barbequing; and My Party, a book dedicated to cocktail food and drinks.
His Pizza Masterclass is part of promoting his signature pizza maker with Breville complete with a recipe book. He was just getting started when I arrived.
|CHILI PRAWN PIZZA WITH SALSA VERDE|
Some tips I learned from Pete Evans:
- Tomato-based pizzas are good for meat ingredients.
- Use good cheese
- Use good meats you can find in delis
- Marinate Prawns in chili and oil before putting them on top of the pizza
- Meat and chili are a great combination for pizza ingredients
- Use Chili Flakes instead of fresh chili
- Make your own dough -- it's easy!