click click click

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Movie: The Dark Knight

Let's keep this short and sweet.

How do I love "The Dark Knight"? Let me count the ways:

a. The best Batman movie ever because it's the most realistic, has a screenplay that makes the most sense and better cinematography as compared to the previous Batman movies.

b. Awesome performances of actors (in order of preference):

Heath Ledger at The Joker

I couldn't agree more with everybody that this was Heath's best performance as an actor and best portrayal of The Joker. Anyone who will play The Joker next will probably have a hard time encompassing Heath's performance.

Heath's The Joker portrayal had stirred so many emotions in me while watching this film: fear because he was psychologically scary, excitement because he simply lights up every scene when he's in it, pity because his eyes showed a certain despair and need for revenge, joy because he was funny and entertaining and awe because he simply was so different from the Heath that played lead actors in his other movies. He was simply The Joker here, nothing more, nothing less.

Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes

It would be unfair to compare her to Katie Holmes but I can't help it (so sue me hah!). I liked her as Rachel Dawes because she was convincing enough to be a lawyer, her acting was simple but substantial and her death (sorry, spoiler!) was a surprise.

Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox

Two actors that supported the lead role and yet they delivered. Bow.

On why I won't give it 5 stars?

Because the voice of Batman (played by Christian Bale) was soooo hoarse, it was annoying. The only thing I said when I first heard it was "Kiko Matsing, is that you?" Good thing, Batman doesn't speak so much. But I do like Christian Bale as Batman...he's way better than all the other Batmans put together.

If you haven't seen this film, watch it! And I really hope you watch it on the big screen beacause this Batman has more substance than ever, more haunting and very entertaining...it's worth your money and your time.

We watched this movie last Friday, 18 July 2008.